The UCLA Jonsson Comprehensive Cancer Center’s Office of Cancer Training and Education is committed to exceptional cancer research education, mentorship and training to support trainee career development and provide a foundation for ongoing progress against cancer. Our mission is to foster innovation and excellence in interdisciplinary cancer education and training through partnerships and to create innovative and complementary cancer-related education and training programs for all trainee levels. The Office embraces, coordinates, and helps organize rich and diverse cancer education and training programs across the UCLA campus and at affiliate and partner institutions. Serving as a coordination center for all educational activities in the Cancer Center, the Office provides an academic and administrative scaffold for supporting cancer-related training and education in basic, clinical, and population sciences.
To achieve our mission the Office has three primary objectives:
- To identify, integrate, and support existing cancer-relevant education and training activities
- To create and coordinate new cancer education, career development, and mentorship programs and activities
- To engage trainees from underrepresented groups and support their cancer career development
Meet the team
Maie St. John, MD, PhD
Associate Director for Cancer Education, Training and Mentoring
Dr. Maie St. John is a professor and the Thomas C. Calcaterra Chair in the Department of Head and Neck Surgery who runs a successful NCI/NIH funded laboratory program focused on identifying novel diagnostic and treatment modalities for head and neck squamous cell carcinoma. As Associate Director of Education, Training and Mentoring for the Cancer Center and Director of the Office of Cancer Training and Education, she provides direction and works closely with her staff to identify, develop, implement and run cancer-focused education and training programs across the training continuum. [Email]
Nishtha Agarwal, BDS, MPH
Nishtha is a foreign trained Dentist with a Master’s degree in Public Health from California State University Long Beach. She has more than seven years of experience in planning, designing and implementing educational programs at various levels. She oversees all office staff and daily operations of the Office of Cancer Training and Education. Additionally, she is responsible for overall strategic planning and supervision of all Cancer Center’s education, training and mentoring activities including developing, implementing, and modifying strategies to meet goals and objectives. [Email]
Ian provides support to the Office of Cancer Training and Education for monitoring and tracking progress of programs used for continual improvement on offerings. [Email]
Monique is responsible for supporting a wide variety of education, training and mentoring activities and initiatives. As well as assisting in new program development, data collection, analysis, and reporting program outcomes tracking. [Email]
The Office of Cancer Training and Education offers free virtual assistance for cancer training, education, and mentorship related meetings. Virtual assistance is available to all Cancer Center members only, and a two-month notice is required for all meeting requests.
For more information, click on the image to the right or click here to download the flyer.
Education and training programs across the Continuum
High School Programs
- STEM Classroom Cancer Education Video Series
- The UCLA School of Dentistry Pre-College Science Education Program for STEM Fields
- The Keck Foundation High School Student Cancer Internship Program
Graduate Students, Post-Doctoral and Clinical Fellow Programs
- The Graduate Programs in Bioscience
- The Broad Stem Cell Research Center
- The UCLA Clinical Translational Science Institute (CTSI)
- The Minority Training Program in Cancer Control Research (MTPCCR),
Oncology Fellowship Program for Residents
- Clinical and Scientific Hematology/Oncology Training at UCLA
Trainee category: Residents/Academic Physicians
Contact person: Ira Sarian, Fellowship Program Manager (contact via email)
- UCLA-Olive View Hematology-Oncology Fellowship
Trainee category: Medical Doctors (Requires Medical School Transcript & USMLE Transcript)
Contact person: Gus Chavez, Program Manager (contact via email)
- Pediatric Hematology-Oncology Fellowship Program (Mattel Children’s Hospital)
Trainee category: Medical Doctors (Academic pediatric hematologist/oncologists)
Contact person: Alice Del Rosario (contact via email)
- Division of Hematology and Medical Oncology Fellowship (Harbor-UCLA)
Trainee category: Medical Doctors (physicians)
Contact person: Judy Chang, Program Coordinator (contact via email)
- UCLA Breast Fellowship Program
Trainee category: Medical Doctors (general surgeons)
Contact person: Sabrina Luker , Fellowship Program Coordinator (contact via email)
- Neuro-Oncology Fellowship
Trainee category: Medical Doctors
Contact person: Phioanh (Leia) Nghiemphu, MD, Program Director (contact via email)
- UCLA Urologic Oncology Fellowship
Trainee category: Medical Doctors (completed urology residency in an ACGME-accredited program)
Contact person: Yissel Rojas, Fellowship Coordinator (contact via email)
- Gynecologic Oncology Fellowship Program
Trainee category: Academic/Research Oncologists, Abdominal-pelvic Surgeons
Contact person: Yissel Rojas, Fellowship Coordinator (contact via email)
Faculty and Healthcare Professionals Programs
- JCCC-DGSOM Mentors on Demand
- Clinical Translational Science Institute (CTSI)
- SPORE in Brain Cancer Career Enhancement Program
Other Training Programs
- Charles Drew University / UCLA Cancer Center Partnership
- UCLA Kaiser Permanente Center for Health Equity
NIH T32 Training Programs
To learn more about the broad spectrum of NIH T32 training programs at UCLA David Geffen School of Medicine and any of the programs listed below, click here.
- The Chemistry-Biology Interface (CBI) Predoctoral Research Training Program
- UCLA-Caltech Medical Scientists Training Program (MSTP)
- UCLA Tumor Immunology Institutional Training Grant
- Tumor Cell Biology Training Program
- Molecular Epidemiology Cancer Training Program
- UCLA Medical Genetics Training Program
- UCLA Pulmonary and Critical Care Medicine Training Program
- Physics and Biology in Medicine Research Training
- Dermatology Scientists Training Program
- Patient-Centered Outcomes Research Training in Urologic and Gynecologic Cancers (PCORT UroGynCan)
- Medical Imaging Informatics Training Grant
- Caltech/UCLA Individualized Theranostic Engineering to Advance Metabolic System (iTEAM)
- Training in Developmental Hematology
- Research Training in Cellular and Molecular Biology
Seminars, events and initiatives
Girls in Stem Video Series
As part of our commitment to Girls in STEM, the UCLA Jonsson Comprehensive Cancer Center is partnering with the American Medical Women's Association (AMWA) Club at UCLA for a series of videos and panel discussions. JCCC professionals will talk with current UCLA students in STEM fields to discuss issues that affect elementary, middle, and high school girls in STEM. In this inaugural discussion, panelists will be asked to share their journey and talk about "what do they wish they knew before embarking on a career in STEM?" Student panelists from AMWA include biology, microbiology, and aerospace engineering majors. The panel will include time for a Q&A.
Click here for more information and to RSVP for the virtual seminar.
Seminars and Other Educational Activities
For greater than 20 years, the Cancer Center has hosted a weekly seminar series as a forum for interactions between UCLA faculty, researchers, physicians, students, and staff to learn about impactful research being performed at UCLA and elsewhere, and to host scientific leaders from other institutions. The Center also organizes journal clubs, tumor board meetings, symposia, retreats, shared resource workshops and other activities.
Click here for the Calendar of Cancer Center Activities.
Women in Oncology Initiative
Launched in fall 2018 the Women in Oncology Initiative is a program that seeks to bring together female oncology leaders from across Los Angeles and neighboring counties. Participants are from the UCLA Jonsson Comprehensive Cancer Center, City of Hope, USC Norris Comprehensive Cancer Center, Cedars-Sinai Samuel Oschin Comprehensive Cancer Center, and community oncology practices. Together they work to develop programs and provide opportunities to professionally advance women at all stages in their careers. For information on the Initiative, contact Allison Muff: MAllison@mednet.ucla.edu
Clinical Research Unit Training Programs
The Cancer Center’s Clinical Research Unit (CRU) provides training programs for faculty clinical researchers, allied health professionals, clinical research coordinators, regulatory coordinators, and others involved in the performance of cancer clinical research. Organized by the CRU’s Coordination Services & Education unit are programs including the New PI/Sub-I Training Program, Clinical Research Coordinator On-Boarding Program, Clinical Investigator On-Boarding Program, Clinical Research Coordinator Certification Program, Clinical Research Coordinator Council, Clinical Research Coordinator Forum, and Clinical Research Best Practices Program.
The Cancer Center has several intramural funding mechanisms, including the Jonsson Comprehensive Cancer Center Fellowship Program that accepts applications annually for cancer-focused research projects from post-doctoral fellows, graduate students, and residents. The goal of the Fellowship Program is to provide research funding to pursue research projects and develop preliminary data needed to competitively apply for NIH F-type grants. The Center additionally maintains a webpage highlighting extramural cancer-focused funding opportunities.
- Fellowship Awards Program for Graduate Students, Postdocs, Residents and Clinical Fellows. Please visit our UCLA CCLE (Common Collaboration and Learning Environment) external funding portal for information on the program and how to apply.
- Tumor Immunology T32 Training Program (post-doctoral) (Program Announcement / Application Form)
CTSI Education and Training
- Click here to visit their website
Career Skills Development
- Graduate & Postdoc Career Development Seminars and Workshops
- UCLA Extension Continuing Education
UC Learning Center - Online Learning for UCLA Staff
- Core Programming
- Biosciences-Specific Career Development
- General Professional Development Resources
- Groups to Join for Training, Networking, and Resources
Career Planning Resources
- BioCareers - Bioscience Career Center and Jobs Board (UCLA constituents join free)
- Individual Development Plans and Progress Assessments, UCLA Graduate Division
- FASEB Individual Development Plan
- National Postdoctoral Association Career Planning Resources - including career skills assessments
- NEW! Career Planning Preparation Toolki
- NCI Office of Training and Education Details on NCI education and training programs, funding opportunity, community groups, fellowships and other resources for trainee
- American Association for Cancer Research Various education and training workshops for early career investigators
- National Institute of Health Grants, funding, policy and compliance
- CABTRAC (Cancer Biology Training Consortium) Includes over 80 institutions within United States along with NIH NCI Cancer Training Branch. Includes information about Retreat, Membership, Fellowship Opportunity, Training Session, Mentorship Opportunity. Platform to exchange ideas between trainees, faculty and institutions dedicated to the mission of training the next generation of cancer researchers.
GMaP (Geographic Management of Cancer Health Disparities Program) Funded by the National Cancer Institute’s Center to Reduce Cancer Health Disparities. Through a systematic and comprehensive approach, we collaborate, cooperate, share resources and information, and build capacity between researchers, trainees, outreach workers and organizations to advance research and training. Region 5 serves Washington, Oregon, California, Alaska, Hawaii, American Samoa and Guam.
- An exciting web based application, which will help connect trainees with mentors based on areas of interest.
- "Career Kickstart" panel event for junior faculty
- Seminars and other Education activities. Click here to see the Calendar of our activities.
For additional information, suggestions or ideas, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org