Jump to a Section
What We Do
Facing breast cancer can be a daunting journey and for patients who are uninsured and low-income, it can seem insurmountable. Avon Cares for Life is a program of the UCLA Jonsson Comprehensive Cancer Center, located at the Olive View-UCLA Medical Center, a public hospital in Northern Los Angeles County. It provides hope for patients from diagnosis, through treatment and beyond.
Through excellence in patient centered services, Avon Cares for Life is devoted to enhancing the quality of care for patients who are diagnosed with or at risk for breast cancer. Our team is committed to fostering an environment that promotes compassion, respect, collaboration and above all, hope.
Our efforts to assist patients with treatment completion include one-on-one care coordination with a bicultural, bilingual patient navigator, facilitation of cancer support resources such as transportation and financial assistance, and providing a dedicated clinical social worker to help each patient address the emotional impact of breast cancer.
The benefits of the Avon Cares for Life Program are:
- Guides patients through the complex healthcare system from diagnosis through treatment
- Supports timely care and treatment of patients
- Assists with appointments, communication between the patient and the doctor, provides educational materials and improves the healthcare experience
- Assists patients with facilitating referrals to community organizations for financial assistance, food delivery, transportation, support groups and many more
For more information, please contact Johana Alfaro, Care Coordinator Supervisor at (818) 364-4135 or Veronica Villarreal, Program Assistant at (818) 364-4876.
The UCLA/ Avon Cares for Life Program began in April 2006 with a two-year seed grant ($300,000) awarded to the UCLA Jonsson Comprehensive Cancer Center to establish a navigation program at Olive View-UCLA Medical Center.
In the initial development of the Program, gaps were identified in service delivery; a lack of continuity of care, delays in treatment due to fear and/or inability to effectively navigate the healthcare system, difficulty in accessing local and national cancer support services, and little to no clinical trial availability. Individual patients expressed that they did not understand the stage of their cancer, their treatment options, or who to call if they had a medical concern. After patients completed their adjuvant treatment, patients had little direction on how to obtain primary care, did not receive routine screening tests for other cancers, and struggled with the emotional challenges of their diagnosis and transition to survivorship.
The Avon Cares for Life Program, an Avon Center of Excellence since 2008, is designed to address these needs and provide a comprehensive level of support and clinical services for patients who are undergoing treatment for breast cancer.
- Cancer Care (www.cancercare.org)
- Project Angel Food (www.angelfood.org)
- weSPARK (www.wespark.org)
- The American Cancer Society (www.cancer.org)
- Cancer Support Community (www.cancersupportvvsb.org)
- Olive View-UCLA Medical Center (Website) (via LA County Health Services)
- Program Brochure (English / Spanish)
- VIDEO: AVON Cares for Life Program profile by ABC News (Play in English / Play in Spanish)
- Avon Walk for Breast Cancer (Avon Walk for Breast Cancer Website)
- Avon Events Photo Galleries (coming soon!)
Free support for patients diagnosed with breast cancer, survivors and their loved ones. To register or for more information, please call (818) 364-4189, or email Eloisa Castellon for more information.
Gentle Yoga: Relax & Strength
Free for cancer patients, survivors, and their loved ones. In Gentle Yoga for Relaxation and Strength, this class will strengthen the physical body and nervous system by practicing specific postures, breathing, and meditation techniques to enhance the functioning of internal organs and body systems. Appropriate for all cancer patients from diagnosis through treatment and beyond. No experience necessary!
Facilitated by Kathleen Ross-Allee, ('LEEN BODIES) C-IAYT, Managing Director, Yoga Therapy Programs, Loyola Marymount University and Julie Rowland CYT-500.
Sponsored by Susan G. Komen
Date: Class is held every Wednesday, 10:30 a.m.- 11:30 a.m.
Location: Olive View-UCLA Medical Center (First Floor Conference Room), 14445 Olive View Drive, Sylmar CA 91342
Registration: Please call (818) 364-4189, or email Eloisa Castellon for more information.