UCLA offers clinical trials both at our own facilities across Southern California and at more than 20 community-based oncology practices throughout the United States via the TRIO (Translational Research In Oncology) not-for-profit clinical research organization.
TRIO-US is dedicated to advancing translational cancer research by bringing forward innovative and targeted therapeutic concepts into the clinical trial setting. The TRIO entity is a merger of CIRG (Cancer International Research Group) and TORI (Translational Oncology Research International), now named TRIO-US, and the wide group of preclinical/clinical researchers at the UCLA Jonsson Comprehensive Cancer Center.
Together, TRIO represents an exciting innovative translational research program, enabling “proof of concept” up to registrational phase 3 trials in different setting such as breast, ovary, GI and other cancers.
Want to find a clinical trial?
Use our online search tool to search all currently open clinical trials at UCLA and across TRIO-US sites nationwide
The TRIO-US network:
- Manages clinical trials at more than 50 community-based oncology practices representing 155 physicians at 24 locations across the United States. A full list of current TRIO-US sites is listed at the bottom of this page.
- Is dedicated to the search for innovative and quality treatment options for its cancer patients. The network provides patients access to clinical trials with promising new treatments that are usually only available to patients in larger cities and at academic centers.
- Offers the same high-quality UCLA standards as in campus-based studies.
- Conducts both industry-sponsored and TRIO-US investigator-initiated trials.
- Conducted trials that have led to the approvals of various targeted therapies such as Herceptin, Avastin, Tarceva, Gleevec and Sutent, for breast, lung, kidney and colorectal cancers, as well as chronic myelogenous leukemia and gastrointestinal stromal tumors.
“We are certain this is the most effective means to deliver the latest and best that American medicine has to offer to patients,” says Dr. Dennis Slamon, Founder and Chair of the TRIO group. “We have very carefully selected the finest cancer physicians and clinics to affiliate with, so we can offer patients the state of-the-art in cancer care."
TRIO-US Network Sites
Founders and Chairmen: Dennis Slamon, M.D., Ph.D. and John Glaspy, M.D., M.P.H.
Director: Meghan Brennan, Ph.D.
Chief Medical Officer: Sara Hurvitz, M.D.
Chief Financial Officer: Jim Muff
Regulatory Director: Christine Kivork
Site Operations Director: Yacgley Valdes
Learn More About TRIO-US
Click here to visit their website.