- UCLA professors elected to the National Academy of Sciences for 2018
Two UCLA professors, Utpal Banerjee and Andrea Bertozzi, were elected to the National Academy of Sciences today in recognition of their “distinguished and continuing achievements in original research.”
May 01, 2018 10:00 AMdetail
- Cancer researcher awarded $750,000 to help advance new treatments for melanoma
The American Skin Association has awarded Dr. Roger Lo, professor of dermatology and molecular and medical pharmacology in the UCLA David Geffen School of Medicine and a member of the UCLA Jonsson Comprehensive Cancer Center, with the Abby S. and Howard P. Milstein Innovation Award for Melanoma/Non-Melanoma Skin Cancer Research.
May 01, 2018 9:00 AMdetail
- New rules for voicebox cancer
Dr. Abie Mendelsohn and UCLA's very own Random Voices sing some 'New Rules' for helping reduce your risk for developing voice box cancer.
April 17, 2018 9:00 AMdetail
- Inhibiting metabolism found to be effective in treating aggressive form of lung cancer
Researchers from UCLA and Long Beach Memorial Medical Center have found that two targeted therapies could be more effective if used in combination to treat squamous cell carcinomas of the lung.
April 12, 2018 9:00 AMdetail
- Discovery of four subtypes of melanoma points to new treatment approaches
UCLA researchers have found that melanomas can be divided into four distinct subtypes according to their stages of differentiation. Cell subtypes that de-differentiated — meaning that they reverted back to a less-mature cell — showed sensitivity to a type of self-inflicted cell death called ferroptosis.
April 12, 2018 9:00 AMdetail
- Physician-scientist honored for his pioneering work in cancer immunology
Dr. Antoni Ribas, professor of medicine at the David Geffen School of Medicne and director of the Tumor Immunology Program at the UCLA Jonsson Comprehensive Cancer Center, has been awarded the American Association of Cancer Research’s sixth annual AACR-CRI Lloyd J. Old Award in Cancer Immunology.
April 03, 2018 10:00 AMdetail
- UCLA physicians, scientists to present on latest cancer research advancements in immunotherapy, genomics at AACR annual meeting
Scientists at the UCLA Jonsson Comprehensive Cancer Center will be presenting on the most recent advancements in cancer research at the 109th American Association for Cancer Research annual meeting.
April 03, 2018 9:00 AMdetail
- How Michael Jung’s team created a drug to extend the lives of men with prostate cancer
Fifteen years ago, Michael Jung was already an eminent scientist when his wife asked him a question that would change his career, and extend the lives of many men with a particularly lethal form of prostate cancer.
March 15, 2018 10:00 AMdetail
- Multimodal approach improves survival in aggressive prostate cancer, study finds
UCLA researchers have discovered that a combination of high doses of radiotherapy and hormonal therapy provides the best chance of decreasing the mortality rate in men with aggressive prostate cancer. The findings also suggest that such a multimodal treatment approach has the best chance of preventing metastatic disease and improving overall long-term survival.
March 06, 2018 9:00 AMdetail
- Study shows need for early support among people with uveal melanoma
UCLA researchers found that nearly all people diagnosed with uveal melanoma had a number of unmet psychological and health information needs, particularly during the first three months after their diagnoses.
February 22, 2018 8:00 AMdetail