Learning Board and STEM Classroom Opportunities
JCCF LEARNING BOARD:
In honor of UCLA’s mission of "Education. Research. Service”, the UCLA Jonsson Cancer Center Foundation (JCCF) is proud to continue its Learning Board, for students to learn how non-profit organizations function, and consider their personal role in improving their communities - and world - through non-profit work and/or Board service.
To download the application form, please click here
CANCER TERMS DEFINED: Video Series by Geffen Academy Students:
We are very proud of local students at Geffen Academy at UCLA, who are creating a series of peer-to-peer informational videos defining basic terms around cancer, cancer diagnoses, and cancer research. Please check out the first videos of the series:
High School Philanthropy Program
The JCCF High School Philanthropy Program provides a wonderful opportunity for students to have an impact on cancer research. We will work with you to create a plan from start to finish to raise research funding, from online fundraisers to virtual events. Funds raised will be directed to our highest-priority cancer research, such as Seed Grants for young researchers, and Impact Grants for unique collaborations across campus.
As your school is raising money, we would be pleased to arrange for a scientist or researcher staff member to speak virtually to your class. Students will learn directly about the many jobs - from scientists, to physicians, to nurses, tech staff and program managers – that are a part of ending cancer through research.
Your support is crucial to launching new, innovative ideas, which will lead to tomorrow’s breakthroughs: since 2014, research at UCLA has led to 14 approvals by the FDA for new cancer treatments and protocols – a remarkable achievement.
For more information, please contact:
Nishtha Agarwal, MPH, BDS, Senior Program Administrator, Office of Cancer Training and Education
-or- RJ DiCamillo, Event Manager, JCCF
Getting started fundraising
- Download and review the Event Guidelines below. Contact us if you have any questions!
- Download and fill out the Event Application Form, and return it to us for review.
- Start fundraising immediately by creating an online fundraiser.
Tips and suggestions
- Brainstorm - Be creative! Virtual fundraising events of any type and scale are welcome.
- Plan - Create a timeline, set your goals and decide on a date and time.
- Form a team - Form an event committee; approach key supporters early on in the process.
- Paperwork -Make sure you get the necessary approvals from your school, parents, and/or group.
- Spread the word! - Use social media to tag JCCF and create a hashtag to get your participants involved.
- During the event - Have fun!
- After the event - Collect funds, thank your supporters and submit any photos and updates to JCCF
Frequently asked questions
Who raises funds for the JCCF?
People from all walks of life have donated countless hours to organize events that support the cancer center’s most important work. Fundraising efforts of all scales and scope are welcome. Whether it’s a social media campaign or a virtual concert, we are truly grateful for your dedication to improving the lives of cancer patients everywhere.
Showing your support to a friend or family member, expressing gratitude to one of the doctors on your UCLA team, or to honor a loved one’s memory by increasing cancer awareness – these are some of the meaningful reasons that individuals from across the globe come together to support the JCCC’s research to find better ways to prevent, treat, and ultimately cure cancer.
What kinds of activities?
Previous events have included concerts, bake sales, run/walks, fashion shows, coin drives, movie premiers, and more. We understand that we can't have in-person events right now, but we're happy to brainstorm with you and your group on virtual fundraising ideas!