The Jonsson Cancer Center Foundation (JCCF) was founded in 1945 by a group of volunteers dedicated to cancer research at UCLA. Their idea, using funds raised from private sources to invest in the work of promising young cancer researchers, resulted in the Seed Grant Program, which has helped the Jonsson Comprehensive Cancer Center (JCCC) break new ground in the quest to defeat cancer.
Although seed grants remain an important part of JCCF's mission, the Foundation today also supports numerous high-priority, multi-disciplinary cancer research efforts focused on rapidly translating discoveries made in the laboratory into improved screening, treatment and prevention.
As the single most important vehicle for raising private funds for cancer research at UCLA, JCCF:
- Provides funds to help JCCC researchers pursue promising new projects and enhance established programs in areas ranging from cancer survivorship and clinical research to the development of targeted therapies
- Has a Board of Directors comprised of respected business and community leaders who are dedicated to raising money through major and planned gifts, annual and tribute gifts, and special events and community activities
- Is a fully licensed 501(c)(3) public benefit corporation that exists for the express purpose of raising and distributing funds to support leading-edge cancer research at JCCC
JCCF spends 90 percent of total donations directly on cancer research and cancer-related programs. The remaining 10 percent goes toward administrative and fundraising expenses. Donors to JCCF can feel confident their gifts benefit the research that has consistently made JCCC a leader in its field.